(1904 Milwaukee, WI - 2002 La Residencia, New Mexico)
Charles Thwaites was a painter and printmaker. He studied engineering at the University of Wisconsin – Madison in 1924-1925, but after stumbling upon a portrait painting demonstration, he purchased art supplies and completed the first of many self-portraits. In 1926, Thwaites eschewed engineering and began studying at the Layton School of Art in Milwaukee, Wisconsin under Gerrit V. Sinclair.
In 1928, Thwaites taught art at the Dubuque Art Association in Iowa and by 1930, was teaching at the Layton School of Art. Born Charles Thwaits, he changed the spelling of his name to Thwaites in 1931. By 1933, Thwaites had a studio in the Plankinton Building; an artist colony of studios in downtown Milwaukee. He was also a member of the Wisconsin Painters & Sculptors.
In 1933-1934 he worked for the WPA (Works Progress Administration) on the Public Works of Art Project, Federal Art Project and the Treasury Relief Art Project. Thwaites painted four WPA Post Office murals, two in Wisconsin, one in Chilton, titled Harvest (Threshing Barley), 1940, Cheese Making in Plymouth, 1941. He also painted two out-of state murals, Lumbering in Greenville, MI, 1940 and in 1943 he did one in Windom, Minnesota.