(1915, Bridgewater, SD – 1995, Madison, WI)
Donald Anderson was originally from Bridgewater, South Dakota and later moved to Iowa where he studied at the University under neo-expressionist painter and printmaker, Philip Guston. From the University of Iowa, he received a BA and MA. Anderson also received formal training in drawing from Mexico City College.
Anderson taught one year at the University of Minnesota, Duluth before serving in the US Army as an illustrator in the Ordnance Department of the Pentagon and worked as a book designer for the army Adjutant General and the civil Aeronautics Board from 1941 to 1946. After the war, he moved to Madison to teach watercolor painting, design, and lettering at the University until 1982. He also worked as a designer for the State of Wisconsin, UW Press, and several magazines.
Furthermore, Anderson authored two books, “The Elements of Design” (1961) and “The Art of Written Forms” (1969). He edited and published two facsimiles of Renaissance calligraphic manuals and an artist’s book. F...